Thursday, April 06, 2006

No, REALLY, Thank You

One thing I am having difficulty with is explaining the concept of food allergies; someone suggested that this might be because food allergies are much more common in the West than here. As those of you who know me know, I am allergic to approximately half of everything that is potentially edible -- in particular, nuts, dairy products from cows, and coffee -- all of which seem to find their way into local food. In Amerca, declining food on the basis of allergies was never a problem, but here -- given the linguistic and cultural barriers -- it can be quite akward. I have become adept at sneaking proffered sweets back into their containers and switching full for empty coffee cups when no one is looking, but there has to be an easier way.

Allergies can also lead to some potential etiquette dilemmas. For example, yesterday, I had the unexpected honor to meet a famous poet who writes about Ahl Al-Bayt (as). (Actually, he is the second poet I have met here; I guess birds of a feather flock together. It is somewhat humbling hanging around literary people because they have a way with words that I do not, not even in English) I was paying attention to the poet and not to the cake I was eating when all of a sudden my mouth began itching like fire, and I realized that swallowing whatever was in my mouth would be a very, very bad idea. So, casting etiquette aside, I jumped up, ran to the kitchen, spat the offending matter out, and explained to the lady of the house that YES, I did like to eat cake, but I couldn't eat peanuts or I would drop dead. I then returned to where I was sitting and pretended like nothing had happened (and that I wasn't the slightest bit concerned about an upcoming allergic reaction).

What to do. On the bright side, I have found goat cheese here, and it is much cheaper than it is in America. But to find it, I did have to dispense with some of my dignity and "baa-a" to the shopkeeper since I didn't know the word for my fluffly friends that graze here and there along the street and comprised today's lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home