Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Islamic Revolution of Lebanon

I remember when I was sitting there on the streetcurb, I was somewhat surprised that no one seemed interested in seeing Rafsanjani but me. In fact the only acknowledgement of his presence that I heard was from some Iranians who were muttering in Farsi that "some Iranian" had come and now they had to go outside of the haram.

However, it seems that in Lebanon, EVERYONE knows that he was there. And not just him -- but, unbeknownst to me, Sayyid Nasrollah was also there on that night in those cars.

Sayyid Nasrollah is cool. Although I've only been here two days, he has rapidly risen to the top of my good list. I am still continually touched by the amount of respect many people show towards him and also towards the rahbar in Iran. In fact, I think the people here show more respect to the rahbar than they do IN Iran. I respect the rahbar too, but I have to admit my view of the Islamic Republic has been tainted by the fact that Islamic Republic does not want me in their country. Despite the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, neither Imam Khomeini nor his successor have ever been here, the Islamic Revolution took root a lot deeper here than it did in Iran. Here, I don't see bureaucracy or formality. (For example. While I cannot even enter the border to go to Iran, I was waved by a checkpoint which clearly stated "No foreigners past this point") Just action. And not just religion but schools, organization, and development. Those who wear hijab here wear it MUCH better than you see on the average street in Iran, and yet you don't have to deal with these silly cultural ideas like your hijab is not proper if it is not black. And you don't sense the same resentment towards the Islamic movement that you do in some places in Iran.

Of course as impressed as I have been by the amount of development in South Lebanon, at least economically, there has been a price -- at least half of the families have men who are working outside of the country to support their families. As a result, there are a lot of strong women. But I feel for them because I would not want to live like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim...

Asalamunalikum Sr.Amina,

This is Layla from Houston. I don't know if you remember me by name, but I'm the one who sat next to you at the last IEC open board meeting you attended. I'm American married to an Iranian. Hopefully you remember me. Anyway, I am writing to say how much I've enjoyed reading of your adventures and I pray for your safety and completion of your goal of living in Iran, Inshallah.

I was astounded by your audience and interpretation for Imam Sistani (long may he live). How incredible that one of the greatest Marjas of our time can trust you to approach him, but the nation of Iran can not. Incredible.

I wonder if you ever tried contacting Moulana Nassir Biria for help with this, for I understand he is well connected to Iran's president.

Khodahafez,
Layla

lah,

4:37 PM  
Blogger Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

Salaam Sis, I'm enjoying reading your posts. ;) It's like taking a little trip with you.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home