Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Don't Talk the Talk When They Walk the Walk

Part of the human condition is that -- depending on where you live -- certain ethnicities tend to get a bad rap. Among the Muslims in the city I was living in in the United States before I came here, it was the Iraqis who bore the a large part of the criticism. (Sorry to inform you of that if you're Iraqi and living in that city -- but it's true. That's just how people talked, and no one could convince them otherwise)

So it is because of this that I feel compelled to describe my experiences with my Iraqi neighbors here in Sayyida Zaynab. To begin with, everyone I have met feels incredibly sorry for me because I am here alone. Therefore, they have been trying to help me in any way possible. Forget just offering lunch and dinner. Several of my neighbors have suggested that I move into their houses so that I will not be alone and vulnerable. I was particularly touched by one newlywed lady who insisted that I come and live with her and her husband; I'm not sure I would have the same faith in human goodness to ask a strange, young, foreign woman to live with me and my husband if I were married. Of course I have been getting a lot of marriage offers (and assurances that theirs are the best of men to marry). But what completely floored me was today at the hawzah when this woman -- whom I know is by no means rich -- tried to give me money. When I declined to take it, she proceeded to hide it in my clothing. I really was at a loss for words. I have rarely been offered money before from anyone, and I really did not know how to respond. I felt completely embarrassed that alhamdulillah, Allah has freed me for the time being from need, and yet she was still trying to give me something.

So since I have nothing to offer here except du'a, all I can say is may Allah reward all of the people who have helped me so far -- from whatever ethnicity they may come -- and may Allah grant me some of their human dignity and good akhlaq.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leila M. said...

This is what dh tells me a lot-- that A) a lot of the Iraqis here act very differently from the ones "back home", and B) people tend to focus big time on the negative whilst taking the positive for granted (or default mode, or a grade of "c") or even unnoticeable.

Glad you're having good support out there, girly

10:21 PM  
Blogger Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

Mash Allah, you are experiencing exactly what I experienced when I was there! (In Syria) I met hordes of Syrians and Iraqis there, and I was so touched by how humble they really are. I was often ashamed to accept their hospitality, because their standard of life was so humble compared to mine back home!
Now that I'm single and living on my own, I'm trying to live more humbly myself...by sleeping on the floor, sitting on the floor, etc.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home